There are many genres in writing essay. It depends on the function of the essay. One of them is Expository Essay; Expository Essay is divided into Analytical Expository and Hortatory Expository.
- Analytical Expository has social function to persuade the reader that something is in case. The generic structure of Analytical Expository is Thesis, Arguments, and Re-iteration Thesis; Position: introduces topics and indicates writer’s position.
- Hortatory Expository has social function to persuade the readers that something should or should be not in case.
Preview: outlines the main arguments to be presented
Arguments: Point: restates main argument outline in preview.
Elaboration: develops and supports each point/argument.
Reiteration is to state writer’s position.
The Generic structure of Hortatory Expository is Thesis, Arguments, and Recommendation
Thesis is an announcement of Issue of concern.
Arguments is reasons for concern, leading to recommendation
Recommendation is statement of what ought or not ought to happen.
Significant Grammatical features:
- Both of the expository essays use Simple Present Tense.
- Focus on generic human or non human participants
- Use of relational processes
- Use internal conjunction to state argument. In Hortatory expository is used to stated what is should be or not should be.
- Analytical expository uses reasoning through causal conjunction or nominalization.